The policy will be reviewed a year after development and every three years thereafter, or in the following circumstances:
- changes in legislation and/or government guidance
- as required by the Local Safeguarding Children Board, UK Sport and/or Home Country Sports Councils and British Gymnastics
- as a result of any other significant change or event
Code of Conduct for Club Coaches, Officials and Volunteers
The essence of good ethical conduct and practice is summarised below. All Club Coaches, Officials and Volunteers must:
- Consider the wellbeing and safety of participants before the development of performance.
- Develop an appropriate working relationship with participants based on mutual trust and respect.
- Hold the appropriate, valid qualifications and insurance cover.
- Make sure all activities are appropriate to the age, ability and experience of participants ensuring they are both physically and mentally prepared when learning new skills.
- Always coach within their qualification unless under the supervision of a senior coach.
- Display consistently high standards of behaviour and appearance, dressing suitably and using appropriate language at all times whilst involved in club activities.
- Never consume alcohol immediately before or during training or events.
- Obtain prior agreement from the parent or guardian of gymnasts before transporting them anywhere.
- Never exert undue influence over gymnasts to obtain personal benefit or reward.
- Always report incidents, referrals or disclosures immediately, following the appropriate guidelines set out in the BG Child Protection Procedures and in the Inspire Child Protection Statement.
- Never condone rule violations or the use of prohibited substances.
- Make sure confidential information is not divulged unless with the express approval of the individual concern, or where an emergency requires details to be relayed to medical professionals for the protection and wellbeing of the gymnast.
- Promote fair play and the positive aspects of the sport.
- Encourage gymnasts to value their individual performances and not just their results in competition.
- Follow all guidance laid down by BG and Inspire Gymnastics Academy.
Code of Conduct for Participants
We are fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the well being of all our members. The club believes that members, coaches, administrators and parents associated with the club should, at all times, show respect and understanding for the safety and welfare of others. Therefore, members are encouraged and asked to be open at all times and share any complaints or concerns they may have about any aspect of the club with Coaches and/or with the nominated Welfare Officer (details on the notice board).
As a member of Inspire Gymnastics Academy, you are expected to abide by the following club rules:
- All members are expected to participate within the rules and respect coaches and judges, and their decisions.
- All members must respect fellow club members and opponents when representing the club at competition.
- Members should wear suitable clothing for training and events. Long hair should be tied back and no jewellery must be worn unless ears are recently pierced in which case they should be taped and the coach should be informed.
- Members must not smoke, consume alcohol or take banned substances of any kind during training or representing the club at competitions or events.
- Members should treat all equipment with respect.
- Members must inform the coach of any injuries or illnesses before warm-up begins.
- Members should inform the head coach of any long term condition or disability that may affect their ability to safely participate in or access the sport in any way.
- Members should not eat or chew gum during a session. Only water may be consumed in the gym.
- Members must not use bad language.
- Coaches should be able to coach safely and give equal attention to all gymnasts. Where the coach is concerned about ongoing poor behaviour which puts this expectation in jeopardy, parents or guardians will be informed and a gymnast may be placed on an acceptable behaviour contract.
- Members are not allowed to use mobile phones of recording equipment of any kind whilst in the gym without the permission of the Head Coach, this includes whilst representing the Club at competitions.
- Members should remain with coaches at the end of a session until collected by their parent or guardian unless there is written consent in place allowing a member to make their own way home (see Child Protection Statement).
Code of Conduct for Parents and Guardians
Parents and guardians are an integral part of the safe and smooth running of Inspire Gymnastics Academy. As a parent or guardian we ask that you:
- Children are the responsibility of their parents/guardians until handed over to the coach for their session. Please do not leave children unsupervised prior to the start of the class.
- Encourage your child to know the rules and participate within them.
- Never force your child to take part in sport nor belittle them for mistakes or poor performance.
- Where your child is representing Inspire at events or competitions, publicly accept officials’ judgements, set a good example by applauding the good performances of all and encourage good sportsmanship.
- Help your child to recognise good performance, not just results.
- Always ensure your child is dressed appropriately for the activity and has plenty to drink.
- Keep the club informed of any injuries or illness that may affect their safe participation in the session.
- Fees for training or events must be paid promptly. Failure to do so will result in the gymnast being excluded from training.
- Endeavour to establish and maintain good communications with the club.
- Share any concerns or complaints about any aspect of the club with the coach, Academy Manager or the Club Welfare Officer (details on the main notice board).
- Behave respectfully to coaches, gymnasts and other parents using correct and proper language at all times.
- Always come into the waiting room to collect your child promptly at the end of each session. Children will be handed back by a coach at the end of the session. If you want your child to make their own way home, they must be at least year 7 and your written consent must have been received and acknowledged via email by the Academy Manager. In no circumstances will a child be allowed to leave alone.
- Support your child’s involvement and help them to enjoy the sport.
- Never take photos or videos during training without the consent of the Head Coach. All photos and recorded images must only be for personal use and cannot be shared on social media without the consent of all parents of gymnasts who feature in the photo.
- Please do not enter the gym unless specifically requested to do so by the coach.
- Please leave the spectator areas clean and tidy.
- Please avoid any behaviour that could be perceived as intimidating. This includes threatening, bullying and bringing the club or its coaches into disrepute.